SEO or Search Engine Optimization is basically a website optimization technique that makes a website more search engine friendly. Optimizing a website also improves the user experiences of the visitors and this helps the website to gain more traffic.
In the Online Marketing field there are many eCommerce websites to provide customers a smooth and easy marketing experience. Search Engine Optimization is the best way to become successful in the online marketing field. To optimize an eCommerce website properly some important things should be taken care of. This can be done using a SEO company who have a specialization in SEO for eCommerce websites.
Planning website architecture: Site architecture means how a website is planned and arranged. A plan for website development plays a very important role. A well maintained site architecture is one of the key elements to improve SEO scores. Ensuring customers ease should be the main focus should be the development of user friendly eCommerce websites with a very clear and simplified site architecture is very important. Additionally, keeping every page as close as possible to the main page by linking them up with main page contents is also a very good practice to get better performance and better page ranking in search engines.
Speeding up your website: A speedy site boosts the performance and reliability of a website. Most eCommerce websites use database systems and servers for easier operation and rapid performance; however the databases can also become complicated to handle sometimes. In or to avoid any complications, indexing database elements is the easiest way. Alongside, using an eCommerce website which is using a single server to operate the protocols all over the website can cause trouble for users and search engines to reach the page easily. CDN server is a way out to get rid of this problem. CDN is a central server that can control maximum servers all over the world. Viewers can easily get in touch with the website through their nearest servers which will make the website more speedy and efficient.Moreover a clean website design with optimized images helps improve the load time of the website.
Keyword Research: Keywords is one of the most important factors that can enhance the SEO score and page ranking of a website. Search engines mostly search for keywords while crawling through the sites. Using simple, direct and unique keywords in the website URL, site architecture and other sections can make good impression of the website. It is very important to classify keywords in order to make the website search engine optimized. First of all the website handler should know the difference between informative keywords and keywords that are mainly focused on products. An eCommerce website generally requires more product related keywords than instructive keywords. Keeping a close look at the other relevant eCommerce websites can be a good source of keywords. Understanding the importance of special keywords specific to products or services fetches the website more priority in the search engine tool. Using those keywords in the product pages can increase site hits. Informative keywords also can be included in the FAQ or support pages of the websites.
Apart from this long-tail keywords are also a good option to get the most out of websites. Long-tail keywords usually have more than one keyword that form a phrase or a sentence and clearly specify a query. It brings huge traffic to an eCommerce website if the search engine can find more valuable keywords at once.
Not only from own product pages, an eCommerce website can also get traffic from advertisements if it uses broad match. Broad match are generally a keyword alternatives that finds matches with keywords that a website uses. Identifying the keyword it will generate the advertisement of the website and the website can make more viewers and improve the SEO ranking.
Keyword benchmarking: Keyword benchmarking means estimating the value of a keyword and deciding its standards. In order to give a tough fight to the competitors in the eCommerce field, benchmarking the keyword is necessary. Categorizing is a huge part of any eCommerce websites. To get more attention from search engines and users, making use of keywords which are mainly focused on categories is a good strategy. Viewers in most of the instances search directly by product names, hence group focused keywords can make the task easy for the users and search engines to find more options of a product at once.
On-Page Factors: In order to optimize a website for better responses from the search engines some on page factors should be maintained well.
- Meta data: Meta data is the main data content of a website. It contains the other data of the site. The main parts of Meta data are (I) title tag, (II) description tag.
- Title tags:Title tags hold the main title of a webpage that is shown in search engine while searched. Title tags are clickable. Using primary and prioritized keywords in the title tags is not a bad idea. Also, some modified words highly related to eCommerce like price, buy, sell can be included in the title tags.
- Description tags: Description tags are the main description of the website shown right below the title tags. Describing a product or website by clearly using significant keywords can help the search engines to find the appropriate content what they were searching for.
- URL optimization: Uniform resource locator is the main web address of a website that takes a user into the website. The format of a URL is protocol name: //host name/index.html. The most significant part of a URL is the index part. Using product names or product focused keywords instead of using complicated mixed-up phrases in the index part is always more efficient and easier for search engine and users to find the page or the product they are looking for.
- Headers and sub-headers: Header is the main top part of the webpage that makes the first impression on the visitor. In an eCommerce website: categories, offers etc are considered as site headers and the sub categories are said to be sub-headers. Using good efficient keywords and unique designs in the headers and sub headers will attract users and helps the site gain more traffic.
- Contents of a Page: Contents of a page in an eCommerce website decides the efficiency of the page. It is needed to be very careful about the contents of an eCommerce page as many duplicate contents are there to spoil the business. Updating page contents on a regular basis, deleting product pages which are unavailable can make the website more resourceful and competent. Focusing on customers, understanding what they are searching for and use those searched words as keyword in page content will result a good page rank.
- Image name and alt tags: eCommerce websites deal with various products online, it is necessary to put product images as details on the webpage. Usage of descriptive images of smaller size and caching same images from the browser cache can enhance the website’s performance. Alt tags provide the alternative text description of an image. Short Alt tags make the image text description more considerable and optimize the website.
- Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs is the method that can link up a category to sub category in an eCommerce website. Actually breadcrumbs are visible at the top a website when a user selects a subcategory of a category. This technique lets the users navigate various pages without any trouble and also increases the flawlessness of a website.
- Related products: Related products or product suggestions also take part in improving the SEO values of website. If the related product section contains more long-tail and product focused keywords then it is an advantage for the website in race of getting good rank in search engines.
Content that is generated by users: In an eCommerce website there is a lot of user generated content like product reviews. User generated content is a good source of long-tail keywords that are friendly with the search engines. Also, user generated reviews encourages customers to buy products from the eCommerce website. Allowing users to post image reviews, makes a clear impression of a website on a customer. Also social media links are a large source of user generated contents that helps the website to gain more attention.
Rich snippets: A rich snippet shows a website’s relevance in the search engine by sowing up the words matching the queries in bold words in the site description part under the clickable title. Marking up some important things like pricing, reviews, rating as rich snippets, search engines can identify the website easily and users will also get to know to worth of the page.
Blog section: Blog section gains a lot of attention from the search engines if it is managed skillfully. Habit of using prioritized keywords, long-tail keywords and product related keywords in the blog section and updating blogs regularly can make a good amount of hits for a website.
Inbound links: Inbound links are the back links from another website to the eCommerce site. Creating great and interesting blog contents, mentioning brand website links in product pages, making a healthy relationship with customers in social media are best manners to get more back links to a website and with more back links, the site will gain more traffic.
Internal Links: Internal links lead users from a page to another page in the same domain. Building more internal links is a smart strategy to gain more SEO scores. Internal links give an option to elaborate contents by sending users to another page and an anchor text alerts the search engines about the relevance of the website. In an eCommerce website internal links can be built between key specification and full specifications section.
Sitemap: The list of pages that a search engine can access while steering through the site is known as sitemap. A sitemap contains list of URLs of pages of a website. The search engine crawler can access those pages whose URLs are listed in the sitemap. More number of URLs in a site map help search engine to access the more amounts of pages and find the best match from the website according to the searches.
Responsive Website Design: The current generation has migrated to viewing websites online using a hand held device such as a mobile or a tablet and thus it is crucial that the eCommerce website has a mobile responsive website design so that it can be viewed with ease on a device of any screen size.
Conclusion: Nowadays, as online is the most preferred shopping destination, competition amongs the eCommerce sites is constantly escalating. Hence, in order to be in the lime light of the viewers using the basic SEO tricks bring the preeminent outcome for the eCommerce owner.